
I have never been friends with anyone as long as I have with Jennifer. I met her about age 9. In church. We weren't fast friends right away, but by 7th grade though we were hanging out on a regular basis.
This picture was taken around the time we started hanging out in church:

And look what else I found! This was also about the same time we started hanging out:
I don't remember us four ever hanging out together, who woulda thunkin? Jennifer's up front, I'm top right.Let it be known, Jennifer is a funny girl. I don't know where she gets some of the stuff she says but man, she can make me laugh. She's such a hoot and is always willing to just have a good time. Some of my best memories are with her, crying from laughter.

Back in the day, we used to spend our time listening to Cranberries, No Doubt, Garbage and Moby and dancing to it all in her living room.

Watching Friends and eating a perfect slice of pepperoni pizza and a can of Pepsi.

Having slumber parties talking about all the funniest bodily functions we could think of and laughing so hard we would cry. And her mom waking up and getting after us.

We were on the phone ALL the time. We would talk about nothing and everything. Sometimes we would just get on the phone to be on the phone. I believe once we were both on the phone, and both of us started watching the same show, and we just sat there on the phone for 15 minutes not saying anything until the commercial came on. Haha. And then Jennifer holds the record for the longest phone call I've ever had in my life. One Saturday, I spent a whole 8 hours on the phone with her. Who the heck knows what we talked about.

We alsogot on The Loop. For those not in the know, the loop was the precursor to Myspace. It was myspace on the phone. And oh did we think it was cool. We would scour through lists of people's little sound bites. A lot of them went a little something like this: "Hey ladies, I'm Jose, hit me up." or "Haaay, I'm Jazelle, I'm beautiful and I wanna talk to you." Ours were way better. Hers were usually from some Johnny Depp movie, mine, from Princess Bride, or some super cool song. And we would have like 5 different accounts, just for the purpose of playing with people. It was fun.

Swimming in her pool. Oh the games we came up with. We played hide-and-go-seek in the pool. There was plenty of bushes and trees around the pool to hide behind. We also would collect rocks, throw them in the pool, and whoever could get the most rocks first won. She always beat me. We'd put the pool chairs in the deep end and stand on them. We'd shoot water at each other with the noodles. Synchronized swimming. We did a whole number of weird but very fun things swimming all summer long. Here's a picture of one such swim:

Oh the notes. We passed notes in seminary, in sunday school, in young womens, every opportunity possible. They were funny too. In 8th grade we got this insanely fantastic idea to each make our own notebook and write notes to each other and exchange them every so often. Oh they were funny because now not only were we writing words, we were incorporating pictures. She spent a lot of her time declaring that Johnny Depp was the greatest man known to the world, and I, Josh Hartnett, pasting lots and lots of pictures of our man, and bashing on each other's man. We only ever agreed on the guys in Linkin Park. And Matt LeBlanc.
This was the cover of mine:

We did all sorts of cool stuff in them.


Some examples of the feud:


I rummaged through my room and found a couple notes. Here's one I'm fairly sure was done in church. We basically went back and forth listing all the grossest stuff we could think of...
"burp! butt! booger! snot! toe! mucus! eye balls! nostril! wax! pimple! puss! black head! body hair, eye crust, armpit sweat, toe jam, toe crusties, clipped off fingernails, nose hairs, athletes foot, fungus, body sounds, body smells, plaque, lice, dandruff, greasy hair, sound of squishy, crusty hair, cottage cheese, cottage cheese on body, brady's belly, Rachel! Jennifer's voice, Jennifer's hair, Jennifer, Rachel's voice, your bathroom, my bathroom, airplane bathrooms, rachel's smell, Rachel's hair, Rachel's feet, Rachel's breath, Rachel, Geoffs hair, Geoff!! hair on the counter, dead-skin flakes, dead person, roadkill, bugs...."
It goes on. ...And I left out the worst stuff! ...In church!
Going to girls camp together.
That's me in the light blue and Jennifer in the orange. This is from a bishops night.

Jennifer and Nicole having a sword fight with fly swatters...

These 3 pics are all from the year I was a YCL and Jennifer was a 4th year. I'm in the yellow, Jen's in the black. This is yet again another Bishops night. And I think were playing the same game.


I cut off this last picture because my belly was sticking out, there's no way that's going on the internet. And Jennifer looks like she's waving a wand. She'd be proud of that. But check out Meghan in the red handkerchief:

Because of our birthdays, she ended up in the year below me so we were in different cabins. But we made the best of it and hung out when we could. One year we sent so many notes back and forth to each other through the mail we probably got about 10 or more a day. I rummaged through and found some I saved. They're very sophisticated and a good read, I must say:

Look at this awesome card she made me:


The feud even went on at camp apparently:


Mine weren't any better:

I don't know why I can't spell? That's probably why I never sent it.
And, it is my personal belief, that Jennifer would make a GREAT cartoonist. For example(click on it to make it bigger):

But I think she's channeled this creativity into something else, though. Over the years Jennifer has become quite a photographer. I especially think she has a knack for black and white photography. Roxanne has frequently been a subject of her photos. Here's some of my favorites:










We went to Youth camp and EFY together. I remember one particular night we were both laughing so hard due to Jennifer's flexibility, and awesome talent at putting her body in funny positions. I'm pretty sure I got a picture of it, but unfortunately I can't find my EFY pictures... But it was the best. :)
Beginning in 7th grade, I have seen Jennifer go through every color of the rainbow with her hair. Red, Brown, Black, Blonde, even one time an experiment went awry and her hair was 5th Element orange for a day. Poor girl.




I've also gone through the Jenna, Jennifer, Jonsie, JJsquared, and Jenn names. But I usually just stuck with Jennifer, no matter what her friends called her.
When I got my first phone, we soon discovered we both had Verizon! Meaning.... nonstop picture messages!! We would stay up late and send the funniest pictures of ourselves we could create. I remember laughing soooo hard at not only her funny faces but the ones I could come up with too. She'd kill me if I put up the really good ones of her, so I'm putting up my worst ugly pictures so you can get a really good idea of just how awesome they really are:




We liked this one because it looks like theres a laser coming out of my nose:






Not to mention the photoshoots on our phones:




Through the years we've gone to separate schools, had separate groups of friends, but we've always managed to remain friends. I think it was because even though we were always doing different things, we still hung out at church every sunday, and then in high school we ended up going to seminary together. Haha, and oh did we get a lot out of Seminary. We would spend a large portion of the time putting on make-up in the bathroom, and then spend the rest of the time quietly talking in the back, getting the scoop on whatever had happened since the last time we saw each other. Poor Brother Franklin. Okay it wasn't every day, but it seemed like it.
We've also found many many ways to entertain ourselves. For example, I remember one night Jennifer, Roxanne, and I discovered the capabilities of Garageband. We went through recording all the randomest things and altering how our voices sounded. We were laughing so hard. Our favorite was the one that made our voices sound like we had just sucked helium. I wish I could figure out how to put it on here becuase it's hilarious.
We've also done many many photoshoots, as you may have seen from all these pictures. Digital cameras make everything fun :) Here's some from a photoshoot from I think about two years ago.
Look! it's the two headed monster!
And here's photos from a photoshoot about a year and a half ago:
This one I love because of Jennifer's face:
This one I love because of my face:
This one I love because of Roxanne's face:
And here is a video of Jennifer as Melanie's arms. You might not think it's quite as funny as we did at the time, but it shows how goofy we are when we get together.
We first went to the singles ward together. Oh it was so much fun. We were grown up, had our own friends, came home when we wanted (much to our parents dismay), we had a lot of new freedom.


And we made many friends, and had so much fun. I remember some weeks we were going out 5 or 6 nights of the week. Going to the bonfires. And almost getting caught. Haha.



The Sobe bombs....

Driving home after hanging out at the Dawson's all night in the winter in my freezing mustang with no heater and holes in the top, and clearly seeing our breath. Staying at Garrett's house till 5am...
Here's to all the memories we've made, and many more to come.


Love you :)
7 comments:
You usually give us a warning when a post is going to be so long. VEry fun. Everyone needs a friend like that.
SO FUNNY!!!!! Looks like you have had some great times together. Do you still hang out at all? Marriage sure changes the dynamics of a relationship.
Ya we do our best, marriage sure does change things. But we still make sure to get together as often as we can. It's too much fun not too, plust now billy joins in the fun :)
i almost peed my pants watching that video of jennifer and i. oh goodness. im weird. BAHAHAHAHAHAHA! -Melanie
That was the tribute of a lifetime. It was fun going down memory lane with all those photos. You guys sure had a camera pointed at yourselves a lot. Jennifer always was able to get you to open up and be your silly self. It is always a laugh-fest whenever she is around. I hope you are friends forever.
It reminds me of my friendship with Terri in Jr. High and High school. I wish we had a camera because there was a lot of silliness going on then, too. Once I boxed up all the funny notes we wrote to each other in Jr. High and sent them to her. She said they were so goofy she couldn't even show them to her husband.
oh geez, you sure got some funny pictures of us. I didnt even remember we took some of them. I still have our notes from camp too somewhere. Oh and i a GLAD you dont have the pictures from EFY!!!!!!!!! that was for your eyes only! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
we are an odd bunch.
we need to do another photo shoot sometime.
haha i was laughing so hard when i was looking at the pictures from our phones, i had to leave the room to calm down so i could see the screen lol.
LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
Oi, these are some back pics lol. Im gonna have to use some of them again since my computer crashed not to long ago.. losing all the great pic we have taken lol
Post a Comment