Thursday, October 11, 2007

Driving By

So I was coming home from church the other day, it was evening, I think I was coming home from FHE, as I was turning past Jack in the Box, I saw a woman dragging a shopping cart toward a little nook between a tree and a couple walls. She was obviously homeless, all of her possessions were in that cart, she was disheveled, unwashed... The thought occured to me to stop and give her money. I didn't have any on me. Plus it would be awkward if someone just stopped as they were driving by to give money to a woman who was some 20 or so feet away from the road. A couple days later I drove by again and the same woman was there in her little cove. I remembered my thought about giving her money, but kept going. The next time I drove by the tree she had taken shelter by had been cut down. Apparently someone didn't like her hanging out there. And the shopping cart was empty. And she was no where to be seen. Maybe I should have done something when the opportunity was there. Next time I won't hesitate to act.

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

I went to find some empty boxes I needed for a project once. I walked back behind an appliance store and saw several boxes stacked up behind their dumpster. As I walked back there to grab some, I found a little living room/bedroom combo. Fortunately for me (and definitely for them) no one was home, but there was a little tray, a couple of dishes, a box of food, a folding chair, an area rug etc. I felt like I was involved in a breaking and entering crime.
I went home feeling a lot more grateful for a roof over our heads.

Anonymous said...

So that was YOU on my surveillance video!

Anonymous said...

you know the Dancing guy i told you about on Central and Thomas? well he always just has headphones on that arent plugged into anything, soooo... i took that little pink mp3 player that i had with the HUGE PLAY putton on it and changed the music on it, more upbeat things, at random (i forget what) but i gave it to him, and now he dances WAY MORE, to not just the music in his head, but real music too. he told me he is going to listen to it all the time. i gave him some batteries for it too. :)